Thursday, October 23, 2008

Under the Knife

Owen has no tonsils or adenoids.  It went pretty smoothly, I guess.  No problems with the surgery, though he does seem to be in some pain now.
There were some toys to play with in the waiting room...
 
 
and fish to look at.  Then it was time to get ready for surgery with
purple scrubs.
He really didn't like the hospital bracelet that they made him wear, but other than that he was fine.
There were toys and bubbles and TV to keep him distracted while the anesthesiologist and the doctor talked to us.  They also brought a mask in to get him familiar with it so theoretically it wouldn't be as scary when they put him to sleep.  Not being there, I don't know if it worked or not.  Owen didn't seem too into it at the time.
The leaving him with the doctors and nurses part didn't go as badly as I thought it would.  They did a pretty good job of distracting him with promises of stickers and balloons.  Erin and I managed to keep it together, though it was difficult.  Erin read her book and I checked some email and then it was done.  We were actually surprised when they called us back to see him so quickly. 

Here he is post-op.  His throat looks swollen and he seems to be in some pain, but they've given him some extra meds that should start working soon.  He'll stay here overnight and assuming he can keep down fluids, he'll go home tomorrow morning.  Right now he's lying on the bed with Mom watching the Disney Channel.  Thanks to all of you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.  We appreciate it.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I'm so glad to hear Owen's surgery went so well and that he's recovering nicely. What a relief!

Brent said...

I hope he recovers quickly. He's such a big boy these days. Hardly seems possible he's already a surgey veteran. His post-op photo makes me wish I could give him a hug. I so thankful it was quick and that he seems to have weathered OK. I guess tonight will be the real test.

Love,
Grandpa Weber

Rachel said...

Oh, what a sweetie. Sure hope you all, especially Owen, get good rest tonight. Hugs.

Carolee said...

It's morning here, but the middle of the night there. I hope he's able to sleep! We're so glad it went well and pray the recovery goes just as quickly and Owen will be back soon to his quietly cheerful self.