I shouldn't have worried so much about getting registered before the first day of classes. Apart from a $25 late fee (which I wouldn't have had to pay had I not listened to the graduate secretary), registration meant nothing. Since the first day, my schedule has changed four times. I went to one class on Thursday and when the professor kept asking questions like "How many of you have seen this before?" and I was the only student not raising my hand, I knew the class was not for me. I didn't even finish the hour out - the second he gave us a break, I took off to switch my schedule around.
I talked to the professor of another class I wanted to take and he told me I wasn't ready for his class; I needed to take some prerequisites first. Unfortunately, taking the prerequisites would probably add another year onto my projected graduation date. That's not going to fly with me or Erin. So I managed to convince him to let me audit the class, though it took some persuasion. I think he was kind of miffed that I was skipping the usual route, but what else was I going to do? I'm not going to put off contributing to my research for a year just to satisfy some silly requirement, even if he is the head of the Operations Research department.
So as it stands now, I'm taking two classes and auditing one, in addition to my research responsibilities. It's going to be a busy semester. Now back to pretending I'm doing something productive as I listen to my iPod and surf the 'net.
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment