Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Austin Zoo

The weather has been really cold lately so the kids (and I) have not been outside in a long time. I have been wanting to check out the Austin Zoo for a while now and the weather was going to be good enough for us to go. Monday, my friend Erin and her two boys along with myself and my two kids all piled in the van (gotta love a van for that) and headed down to the zoo.
Now, I knew this zoo would be smaller than most that I had been to, but smaller does not even describe it! This was more like someone's big backyard with some birds and a few big animals. Both my friend Erin and I were pushing double strollers and there weren't any paved walkways. We were totally off-roading on dirt pathways with huge stones that we had to practically carry our strollers over.
The animals seemed different at this zoo. It may have been that we were the only ones at the zoo that day, but usually when I go to the zoo, the animals just kind of sit there and don't pay any attention to you. But on this day, all of the big cats (tigers, lions, panthers, cougars) were staring us down. The tigers were following us along their fences. It was pretty scary. I have been kind of freaked out about large animals at the zoo since that December tiger attack at the San Diego Zoo (I even have nightmares about it... seriously). Needless to say, we hurried through those big cats. I just kept thinking that since we were the only ones at the zoo that if these big cats got out they were definitely going to be chewing on one of us! AND those fences did not look very high so that was quite unsettling as well.

A few pictures--- I didn't take very many so sorry about the quality.
Adam and Ellie looking at the black bear.
Owen eating fish... not interested in the bear... tolerating the monkeys.
Ellie smiling (with eyes closed) while taking a break from taunting the bear.
The monkey that Ellie was terrified of. It just kept staring at her.

No comments: